Saturday, April 27, 2013

Celebrating National Poetry Month with "Sign of the Covenant"



Sign of the Covenant

Look to the rainbow
the sign of the covenant God said He made
between me, you and every living creature of all flesh
an infusion of mystical particles
magically sprinkling colorful sparkles through the clouds
where rain exits and the sun enters
acknowledging each other’s presence by uniting
forming an arch of unbelievable vibrant colors
admired by those who look up
and recognize the sign of hope and promise
all within the color wheel of a rainbow.

After the great flood in the beginning
lasting forty days upon the earth
waters increasing high above the land
where even the mountaintops could not be seen
as the waters subsided
God commanded Noah and his house to go forth
to breed abundantly
declaring never again shall the mighty waters
of a great flood
come to destroy all flesh and the earth.

Look to the rainbow
tis the sign of promise for all future generations
in all of its magnificence in shades of royal flair
a blessed covenant from God
wrapped in unyielding reassurance
knowing that He will never forsake you
confident He’ll always be there!

*This poem, Sign of the Covenant, is from the book Diversities of Gifts: Same Spirit (2009)

“And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come:
I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.
Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds,
I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life.
Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”
- Genesis 9:12-16 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment