Monday, October 31, 2011

We Can't Forget, No Matter What!

As we reach the end of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, with all of the marathons, races, walks, Zumbathons and other charitable events that helped to raise money for breast cancer research, we cannot allow the fight for this and other noteworthy causes to end. Many friends of mine, who passed away from a tireless fight to survive this disease over the years, departed this life when their time came. I cannot forget them, no matter how many years have passed.


Many new friends I made over the years are breast cancer survivors. I look at their insatiable thirst for life and their celebration of victory that is a clear reminder to not sit and sulk over mediocrity that robs us of our valuable time and will to live. An old adage my mother used to say when I was growing up, “You don’t miss the water til the well runs dry” is one I don’t take lightly, because I see evidence of this more often than I care to. As I experience the rain showers and storms in my life, I must celebrate because the rainstorms refill my well when my water level is low.

Whether our losses come through losing loved ones or friends who we love dearly to the ugliness of cancer, heart disease, Lou Gehrig’s Disease, MS, AIDS, fatal accidents and numerous other causes, let us remember to live a life of service and gratitude. Let’s focus on what we have instead of what we don’t. I remember watching the movie “The Family That Preys” and throughout all of the lessons in the movie, the one line I remember the most was “Are You Livin’ or Are You Just Existin’.” I don’t know about you, but I choose life!

“For when I am weak, then I am strong. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
- Philippians 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment